Friday, April 04, 2014

Comfort Zone

"Mind you, you are too cozy in your comfort zone". No, it’s not from a present-day manager from your next-block IT company. These were the very words my class teacher used way back in the 90s when I was in high school. Looking back, I marvel at my teacher for using jargon which were very uncommon those days.
Before you get bored and browse away from this page, wondering why am I reminiscing the past, let me come to the point. Almost similar words were directed towards me in the very recent past by my departmental head. The context was a team shift which I wasn’t particularly interested in. Which brings into question — what exactly is this comfort zone and is there really anything to it that all sundry superiors use it with abandon? Actually yes! And you will realize it only when you are dug out of your cozy comfort zone.
The first few days after the announcement were really panicky. All sort of negative thoughts come to your mind, no matter how much your friends or superiors try to cajole and motivate you. You would have made lot of plans while you were in your old comfort zone and suddenly you are in a double-mind — whether to pursue those plans or put them on hold, coz you’re unsure of what the future holds. Your self confidence too takes a severe beating. One moment you were on the top of the world thinking you are doing such a good job et all and everyone around likes and respects you. And suddenly you start thinking whether that is indeed the reality, otherwise how come this change?
The key to such a situation is not to panic but to keep your cool. Eventually I managed to pacify my frenzied mind. It’s actually a blessing in disguise. The uncertainty and insecurity generated will force you to look at alternatives/options, including, but not limited to, a possible job change. You’ll get to know where you stand and how skilled you really are. I did a self-SWOT analysis to understand my strengths and weaknesses. Mind you, if you were in your comfort zone for long, it would indeed surprise you or even shock you when you get a picture of where you stand vis-a-vis your peers out there. And it would certainly push you to brush up your existing skills and add new ones. Remember, life is full of surprises, and you would never know what is round the corner until you come face to face with it. And when you indeed face a situation, just don’t lose your self belief and get depressed. As the golden saying goes, “Where there is a will, there is a way”.

No comments: